Do you have a passion for publication and graphic design? Do you have a desire to dig into new content and message delivery options? If so, Indiana Electric Cooperatives might be the place for you. The Indiana Connection magazine is a print magazine that reaches more than 300,000 homes across Indiana each month. We are looking for a production and design coordinator with graphic design skills to join our team to assist with the magazine and other design needs for our organization and our member cooperative systems.
Indiana Electric Cooperatives (IEC) has been around since 1935, and today our member cooperatives serve more than 1.3 million Hoosiers. At IEC, we work hard for our members and the communities we serve. We support our member cooperatives with various services that include job and safety training, government relations, regulatory compliance support, professional development and communication. We provide our members with the support they need to power their communities.
We offer an excellent benefit package that includes:
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work environment and paid time off
- Defined pension plan (you read that right – we still have an incredible pension plan!)
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Health, vision, life and disability insurance
- Identity theft insurance
- Opportunities for learning and development
- Supportive culture and a work/life balance
As the production and design coordinator, you will assist with and monitor the general monthly production process of Indiana Connection. This position also supports the creative output – from concept to production – for Indiana Electric Cooperatives, Indiana Connection, and IEC’s member cooperatives. This position works closely with others in the cooperative relations department to ensure brand consistency across all IEC departments and assists in designing and creating graphics to meet specific needs for IEC and its member systems.
- Assist with and monitor the general monthly production process of Indiana Connection, working closely with the editor, graphic designers, and other staff.
- Assist with the Indiana Connection editorial planning.
- Assist the editor in coordinating with the magazine printer and the U.S. Postal Service; production and design coordinator should have a working knowledge of the processes and policies to serve in the absence of the editor.
- Create the monthly magazine flat plan, including the placement of advertisements.
- Coordinate with freelance writers and designers as appropriate.
- Help develop and adhere to production schedules.
- Lead orientation of new employees for subscribing cooperatives. Coach these employees through processes, policies, best practices and more.
- Provide high-quality and timely graphic design support for a wide variety of media including print, digital, email, social media, etc.
- Assigned recurring magazine section pages.
- Designated cooperative local pages.
- Designated creative services program cooperatives.
- IEC campaigns and programs.
- Create and upload design packages to the IEC website and media library for member cooperative use.
- Monitor magazine publication and delivery trends. Keep abreast of new and emerging technology, design trends, software and opportunities.
- Investigate, establish and implement new content delivery opportunities.
- Lead the delivery of magazine content through electronic options.
- Think creatively and develop new design concepts, graphics and layouts.
- Support regular maintenance of the Indiana Connection website with the creation of graphics and population of content as needed.
- Assist editor in providing positive and efficient customer service; respond to inquiries from member cooperatives and Indiana Connection readers.
- Assist editor in evaluating quality assurance and member satisfaction.
- Support department initiatives and projects as needed.
- Identify and execute opportunities to create department efficiencies through best practices research, technology enhancements and process review/improvements.
- Assist other IEC departments and staff with programs and projects as requested.
- Actively participate in department planning activities including goal setting, strategic planning and budgeting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have an equivalent of the following education and/or experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, public relations, graphic design or a related field is required.
- Advanced experience with Adobe Creative Suite programs and WordPress.
- Minimum of five years of experience with print publications, including design, layout, writing and editing.
- Advanced knowledge of Associated Press style.
- Valid driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Strong problem-solving abilities, including the ability to apply critical thinking skills and logical discernment to complex situations where different opinions may be in conflict.
- Strong project management and planning skills, including the ability to coordinate work with other departments or organizations.
- Strong consultative skills including working with a variety of members, meeting them where they are and meeting their needs, and educating them on possibilities and best practices.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to describe and explain complicated or sensitive information, negotiate with and motivate others, maintain confidentiality and strong listening skills.
- Strong desire to learn and develop.
- Ability to mentor and advise other staff.
- Ability to monitor, assess, make budgetary recommendations.
- Ability to move in a fast-paced environment and manage and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining a high degree of quality and needing little quality control oversight.
- Proficiency using a computer, including proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), WordPress, databases, the internet and cloud-based programs such as MailChimp and Survey Monkey and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite programs.
- Ability to operate office equipment, including printers, copiers and phones.
- Strong mathematical abilities (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, percentages and ratios), including the ability to process data.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The environmental and physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented office environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to sit for periods of time and to move intermittently throughout the workday within or between departments or facilities.
- Strong sensory skills, such as good hearing, dexterity and good eyesight, including the use of color perception.
- Ability to interact frequently with others through phone, e-mail and written correspondence.
- Ability to speak clearly.
- Ability to interact frequently with others, both in person and through phone, email, virtual meetings and written correspondence.
- Local and regional travel required occasionally; overnight travel required approximately three days per year.