Within the limits of established policies, assume responsibilities as delegated by the Director of Engineering to maintain a working knowledge of all the following departmental functions in order to perform them independently and competently:
- Schedules and keeps appointments with member/consumers for new construction, upgrading or conversions of facilities, and relocation or removal of existing facilities and to provide cost estimates for jobs to be completed.
- Designs, stakes and inspects primary, secondary and service installations for new services, system improvements, sectionalizing equipment and retirements of existing facilities.
- Inspects for tree trimming and/or removal requirements, facility damages and to identify potentially hazardous situations.
- Consults with developers for mutually agreeable conditions for the installation of JCREMC facilities in areas to be developed. Coordinates the installation of facilities with other utilities.
- Utilizing staking software and data processing equipment as needed to draft staking sheets and facility layouts and to produce material sheets for construction projects.
- Maintains all records necessary for Engineering and Operations Departments accounting procedures and to support the formulation of workplans and reports required by the RUS, the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission and all other regulatory agencies.
- Serves as dispatcher while working inside the headquarters building.
- Participation as an on-call dispatcher for outage situations occurring outside normal business hours is mandatory at the discretion of the CEO (and at the On-Call Dispatcher rate of pay) if there are not enough volunteers to meet the needs of the company.
- Assists as needed in public relations and information programs undertaken by the Cooperative and completes career enhancement training programs as directed.
- Manage the Staking Engineering Department: Supervise activities of the staking engineering department to include daily work assignments, leaves, training, coaching, performance management, and disciplinary actions as necessary. Also recommend compensation changes to the Director of Engineering.
- Review all work orders before being released. Coordinate work order inspections for RUS approval.
- Oversee contractor designs.
- Associates degree in construction management, mechanical engineering technology or other related area of study. Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
- Must have at least 15 years of related utility work experience
- Successful completion of Hoosier Energy Apprentice Training School (HEATS) or Meter Tech School.
- Ability to apply engineering theory to the design of electric distribution lines.
- Must be able to understand GIS, mapping terminology, and surveying concepts.
- Must have basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn other software programs, as needed.