Performs assigned projects, procedures or tasks in the installation, testing, repair and maintenance of all types of electronic equipment used in conveying voice, analog, digital, tone and other equipment associated with two-way communications and system control, and reading and reporting levels at multiple and base band test points to verify operating parameters. Also makes revisions and troubleshoots the internal LAN information system. Participates in on-the-job training or other educational opportunities in order to achieve a level of independent expertise concerning abnormal conditions and higher state-of-art technologies associated with Hoosier Energy’s communications and system control equipment and facilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Tests or performs technical analyses and subsequently repairs all malfunctions or aberrations that are encountered in the maintenance, operations or testing of communications, system control and LAN equipment and makes any disposition necessary to insure proper operations and the continuity of the communication system including the following: VHF radio (base, mobile, handicom, pager and switches); power line carriers and associated equipment; batteries and battery chargers; tower light controls; communications, monitoring and recording equipment associated with system control; telemetering equipment; tone transmitters and receivers used for alarming; other associated communications and system control equipment; the LAN information systems; and building and grounds.
- Assists technicians of a higher classification in the testing, operating or repairing of the following equipment: Microwave; SCADA and other computers; and multiplex equipment.
- Performs installations of a routine nature and puts into service the types of equipment listed in Duty A.
- Makes sketches, takes notes, draws graphs, and completes reports in order to maintain complete and accurate records about the installation, testing, repair and maintenance of equipment in Duty A.
- Makes the prescribed written reports in order to meet Federal Communications Commission requirements.
- Responsible for the utilization, maintenance and security of assigned tools, test equipment, vehicles and work areas.
- Suggests to the Communications Working Foreman or the Manager, Communications and Meter/Relay any recommendations about practices, procedures, system requirements or improvements in order to facilitate maintenance schedules, short- or long-range plans and other efficiencies in cost improvements.
- Acts in an exemplary manner in order to maintain and promote safe practices and procedures and participates in scheduled safety meetings and first aid classes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, plus additional academic background in electronic circuitry and technology
- Two years with an electric utility or a comparable industry where a strong background in electronic communications equipment was obtained.
Skills and Abilities:
- Installation, testing, maintenance and repair of VHF radios, power line carriers, microwave, computers, multiplex and telemetering equipment; second class FCC license; driver’s license
Hoosier Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.