Performs diverse work erecting, repairing and operating distribution facilities. Works on energized lines, structures and equipment involving electricity distribution.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Safely construct and maintain electric distribution lines. Climb poles of all types and perform jobs including but not limited to changing transformers, conductors, wire, capacitors, regulators, etc.
- Patrols the Cooperative’s existing power lines for problems or unsafe conditions. Reports these conditions to the Line Superintendent.
- Perform substation technical maintenance and repair.
- Read and interpret blueprints, work orders, and staking sheets. Be familiar with REA specifications, the National Electrical Safety Code and OSHA regarding utility distribution line construction and service.
- Keep the Line Superintendent informed as to the status of jobs and estimated timeline for completion.
- Promptly report all safety issues including hazard reports, accident reports and near misses. Fully participate in any ensuing investigation.
- Be on time and ready to work at the start of each standard shift.
- Complete tail gate meetings and job briefings at each job site to review expectations, procedures and safety factors.
- Accurately complete all required job paperwork including time tickets, job briefings, work order packets, etc.
- Work as necessary on the underground construction, overhead construction or service crews.
- Serve as a crew leader as required per the collective bargaining agreement.
- Perform meter reading and disconnect/reconnects as necessary to support the Meter Technician.
- Drive and operate a bucket truck, line truck, digger, trencher, forklift and other equipment as necessary to set poles, lay wire, connect and disconnect services and perform tree trimming.
- Maintain all assigned company equipment, tools and vehicles in good working and visual condition. Inform the Cooperative mechanic of issues with the vehicle and the Line Superintendent of equipment needs.
- Provide excellent customer service out on the job as needed to educate and answer member questions. Positively represent Daviess-Martin County REMC at all times within the community.
- Observe the performance of any assigned crew members ensuring they are following an effective work procedure and observing company safety rules. Report any deficiencies or issues to the Line Superintendent.
- Direct, guide and train apprentice lineman.
- Attend and participate in job safety programs, other relevant training, and company meetings.
- Ensure that job locations are left in a neat and safe condition following the completion of work.
- Participate in service watch duty which requires the individual to be on-call at locations where they may be quickly and conveniently reached by telephone in an outage or emergency situation. Promptly respond to all service calls.
- Be available for unscheduled overtime during consumer outages or emergencies as required by the company.
- Operate truck radio as required and according to company and FCC procedures.
- Comply, while operating any vehicle assigned to this position, all traffic laws, safety rules and regulations and safe practices.
- Participate in the Cooperative’s school safety program.
- Participate in the Cooperative’s safety program including serving on the safety committee.
- Keep informed and follow all Cooperative policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by the Line Superintendent.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and attain the position objective. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or completion of a GED is required. Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school is preferred. Two to five years in electric utility distribution operations, including distribution system construction and maintenance is required.
- Completion of a power line apprenticeship is required.
- Ability to effectively read and follow operations and safety manuals. Must interpret blueprints, work orders, and other electrical specifications.
- Must be able to use line construction hand tools.
- Must be able to interact with members pleasantly to answer routine electric questions while in the field, and handle emotionally charged outage and emergency situations.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to learn and use company specific software such as outage management software.
- Ability to understand and carry out written or oral instructions.
- Ability to multi-task and work well with others in a fast paced environment
- A proficiency in the English language and its proper usage. Knowledge of a second language is a plus for this position.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as patience
- Ability to perform first aid and CPR.
- This position also requires basic technical utility knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform transformer hookups, set poles, operate heavy equipment, tools, and machinery.
- Must adhere to Company Safety Rules.
- Must be able to drive and maintain a current Indiana driver’s license.
- Must have or be able to obtain a valid Commercial Driver’s License.
- Must reside within or approved proximity of our service territory (mainly Daviess, Martin and part of Lawrence County).
This position requires that the individual load and unload vehicles, travel to and from job sites, and perform maintenance and construction activities on power distribution lines. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to: Frequently – see, talk, hear, walk, sit, stand, use hands to finger, handle, write, feel and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally – stoop, kneel, crouch, climb, balance, crawl, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Work is mostly outside in close proximity to hot line construction and maintenance and energized conductors in varying weather conditions; and is exposed to the hazards of electrical shock and burns as well as to falls. Position requires travel throughout the service area. Work regularly scheduled Monday-Friday, although weekends and after hours may be required to meet deadlines or address distribution problems.
To apply for this position, please print and complete the attached application. Completed application, resume and three (3) references should be emailed to Theresa Showalter: firstname.lastname@example.org .