This position is responsible for the installation of fiber for home services to members and customers.
Reports to: Facilities Engineer
- Installs protectors and demarcation devices (including FTTH NIDS) at customer locations and prepares cabinet sites in accordance with company standards.
- Install, configure, and test the premise equipment (ONT’s, routers, etc.) including Wi-Fi configuration and setup using optical power meters, Wi-Fi test equipment (Exfo EX1 or similar).
- Assist member with connecting devices to Wi-Fi and wired networks.
- Be able to splice fiber, install, terminate and test cat-5/6 and coaxial cables, route fiber and/or cables from the outside to the inside of a home or business as needed.
- Perform quality control of contractors as needed.
- Troubleshoot and repair all wiring connections, including GPON fiber, and test the quality of service to resolve issues using appropriate fiber optic testing tools such as OTDR and optical power meters, and replace any equipment as needed.
- Coordinate with the Facilities Engineer, Vice President of Operations and Engineering and other staff as needed for maintenance and installation issues, to work toward a timely resolution of customer issues, and coordinate with customer service representatives on other customer issues.
- Assist with field training of new or existing employees.
- Assists in outage restoration, service watch, and performs other related work in order to provide safe and reliable service for the consumers.
Other Duties: Performs other duties from time to time according to the needs of the Operations and Engineering Department and Jackson County REMC as a whole.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
The majority of the work will be in the field. Outside work will be required in all types of weather conditions with relief from extreme heat and cold not always possible. Some work will be required both after normal office hours and on weekends. The amount of such work will depend on need and may vary significantly from one time to another. Must be in good physical condition in order to meet the physical demands of the job. Must be capable of lifting and carrying 50 pounds. Must have good eyesight and hearing for customer communication and surveying. This position is subject to call out during major storms. This position will require the employee’s residence to be within the area designated as outlined in the Jackson County REMC Employee Handbook.
- High school diploma required; 1-3 years’ experience desirable.
- Valid Indiana Motor Vehicle Operators License.
- Good communication skills in order to effectively communicate with customers and contractors to work through issues and resolve conflicts.
- Working knowledge of computers, tablets, iPads, smartphones and other electronic devices.
- Proficiency in reading and mathematical computations.
- Good problem solving and comprehension skills.
- Handwriting clearly legible.
- Working knowledge of Jackson County REMC operations and service territory.
- Working knowledge in all applicable tools, tricks and related equipment.
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Works safely and looks out for co-workers and the general public.
- Exhibits keen disposition for providing great customer service.
- Represents Jackson County REMC well in appearance, conduct, knowledge, and professionalism.
- Is familiar with and abides by Cooperative policies, guidelines, and code of ethics.
- Is a team player contributing to support the mission of Jackson County REMC.
- Is good steward of the Cooperative’s resources.
- Punctual and attentive to established work periods and allowed rest-times.
- Maintains and or acquires the skills necessary to perform job functions.
- Seeks more efficient and effective ways to carry out his/her responsibilities.
- Available when needed for both regular duties and during system emergencies.
- Successfully performs duties in a quantity, quality, and timeliness to be effective.
- Expects change both internal and external and adapts positively.
- Accepts responsibility for own actions and for accomplishing, needed tasks.