This position reports to the Tech Services/Metering Manager and is responsible for providing reliable testing, calibration, installation and maintenance of meters and metering equipment.
Main duties include:
- Wiring and construction of all primary and secondary metering packages, including making up connections in meter cabinets
- Programming, testing, and calibration of all meters for accurate revenue
- Maintenance and operation of AMI system including radios and disconnect collars
- Collections and return check disconnect
- Normal connection and disconnection of meters
- Programming, operation, and analyzing voltage recorder data for customer’s three-phase and single-phase services
- High bill complaints and working with members to help find a solution to their high voltage
- Working with billing department to help resolve billing issues and reading questions
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have an equivalent of the following education and/or experience.
- Must be able to use a PC and Excel proficiently
- Must have successfully completed or be able to complete journeyman-metering program. Experience preferred.
- Must possess good written and oral communication skills
- Must be willing to attend training, work overtime, and out of town – as necessary
- Experience in metering and metering software higher preferred
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Must be able to work under adverse conditions such as extreme heat or cold, high winds, stormy conditions, as well as during emergency conditions after regular office hours
- Must be able to communicate directly with members concerning metering, billing, and collections issues
- Must be trainable in the application of CPR and First Aid
- Ability to learn and understand and follow Cooperative maps, Cooperative Safety Manual, and any type of Cooperative forms related to work being performed
- Ability to learn Cooperative’s service area and distribution system
- Ability to learn and understand the installation of meters, wiring of meter cabinets, and associated electrical equipment
- Ability to learn Cooperative’s tariff policies that apply to Meter Tech duties
- Works outdoors 95% of the time in all types of weather conditions and environmental conditions
- Must be able to walk in areas not suitable for vehicles
- Works in potentially hazardous conditions caused by pets and wildlife in or near the work site
- Works in areas with possible exposure to insect stings and bite
Salary and Benefits
The REMC offers a comprehensive benefits package and salary structure commensurate with qualifications and experience, including pension, 401k, medical and ancillary plans. Kankakee Valley REMC is an equal opportunity employer.