Location: Worthington Plant – Worthington, IN
Examines problems at hand with Hoosier Energy’s Generation Systems’ performance; identifies causes, and implements solutions. Responsible for developing, coordinating and executing a Corporate Controls Strategy which ensures safe, cost effective and reliable operations while pursuing a coordinated platform for controls, data management and reporting. Continuously evaluates each generating station’s Control System (DCS/PLC), identifies future needs, ensures these needs are met through Asset Management, Outage Management, Plant or Cybersecurity/Network Projects, ensures current technology does not reach obsolescence, recognizes areas where plant performance or reliability can be improved and discover new technology which can assist Hoosier Energy in better achieving its operating goals. Provides technical support and expertise for plant, corporate, and member personnel. Ensures control system modifications and future projects comply with manufacturer recommendations, applicable codes (NERC, NFPA, etc.) and considers the impact on legacy or other integrated control systems. Responsible for the implementation and management of control, monitoring and simulation system projects at each plant, including supervising activities of Hoosier Energy personnel and consultants. Acts as an internal consultant on distributed generation projects and emerging technologies. Assures all modifications, revisions and additions are properly evaluated, approved, documented and distributed to plant, corporate, and member personnel as appropriate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works systematically and logically to resolve Generation Systems performance problems at hand, identifies causes and anticipates implications. Prepares contingency plans. Makes decisions or takes action, after considering the available courses of action and the needs and values of others. Formulates orderly and systematic approaches to solving performance problems though out Hoosier Energy’s plant generation systems and implements solutions.
- Develops, coordinates and executes a Corporate Controls Strategy which ensures safe, cost effective and reliable operations while pursuing a coordinated platform for controls, data management and reporting. Continuously evaluates each generating station’s Control System, identifies future needs, ensure these needs are met through Asset Management or Plant Projects, guarantees current technology does not reach obsolescence, recognizes areas where plant performance or reliability can be improved and discovers new technology which can assist Hoosier Energy in better achieving its operating goals.
- Develops and regularly meets with the Controls Team at each facility to identify, repair and improve upon potential Control System issues. Supervises and coordinates work activities of Controls Team services during projects, supports the team with advanced troubleshooting of the system and logic, ensure the proper training is developed and available to personnel who work on plant control systems and ensure a system is developed, in place and adhered to for properly documenting and approving Control System changes (i.e. alarms, logic, tuning, graphics). Creates an environment enhancing the possibilities for greater responsibility and utilization of the team’s skills.
- Monitors the implementation of established new projects in order to assure safety, compliance with manufacturer recommendations, applicable codes (NERC, NFPA, etc.) and considers the impact on legacy or other integrated control systems. Makes recommendations and take appropriate actions regarding practices, procedures or policies that will increase productivity or improve costs, and assures the safety and integrity of Hoosier Energy’s control systems.
- Researches the quality of service, pricing and availability of consultants and other vendors of goods or contracted services, prepares specifications for engineering and consultant services, equipment procurement and contractor services, and function in a project management role as appropriate.
- Maximizes the application and operation of Hoosier Energy’s control systems (DCS/PLC) and data acquisition/automatic generation facilities. Develops, implements and maintains a policy which protects the integrity of each of Hoosier Energy’s Control Systems. Complies with all NERC and Hoosier Energy operating policies and guidelines that pertain to the Control System. During an emergency condition, has the authority to take or direct timely and appropriate real-time actions to prevent or alleviate operating security violations. Higher level management personnel should be notified at the earliest possible moment of existing or impending emergency situations.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, controls, information technology, or other technical discipline
- Two years minimum industrial control system experience.
- DCS and PLC experience
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate with individuals at all levels and work as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects with varying scopes and timelines
- Demonstrated level of professionalism and positive attitude
- Ability to exercise flexibility to work effectively in a changing environment
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills to identify, anticipate and resolve problems at hand
- Working knowledge of project management process, financial and business risk analysis, methods and modeling techniques
Hoosier Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.