Department: Cooperative Services
Position Summary: To provide to customers and general public a positive, prompt, and courteous customer service experience when handling inbound telephone traffic and personal visits. To efficiently and accurately conduct all aspects of customer accounting.
Reports to: Vice President of Cooperative Services
- Assists promptly customers with all inquiries, maintaining identity protection and privacy of personal information, at times involving research and analysis. If necessary, routes the customer to the proper person or department for assistance.
- Receives and processes all forms of billing payments and balances the daily cash receipts.
- Prepares, enters, and verifies: new customer information, terminating customer information, account updates, membership fees, deposits, meter readings, billing reports, service orders, security lights, miscellaneous charges, billing adjustments, budget bills, E-Z Pay setups, scanning paperwork, capital credits assignments, etc.
- Contacts customers as needed to provide information or to eliminate potential confusion and/or misunderstanding concerning their account(s).
- Prepares bill statements, delinquent notices, and miscellaneous mailings.
- Works with field personnel regarding meter readings, security lights, reconnects, disconnects, new services, collection of delinquent accounts, and other service issues.
- Maintains files in an orderly manner.
- Backs up other customer service representatives as needed.
- Keeps the Vice President of Cooperative Services apprised of any issues regarding customer relations, employee relations, equipment, office supplies, routing procedures, or other area that may impact customer service.
Performs other duties from time to time according to the needs of the Cooperative Services Department and the Cooperative as a whole.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Office work including extensive computer use and telephone use.
- Occasionally lifting and or carrying boxes of paper, office supplies, printouts, etc.
- Walking, sitting, bending, stooping, squatting, and standing are generally part of day-to-day activities.
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity to enter and verify data entered into a computer.
- Occasional overtime required.
- Assists with outage emergencies or after-hours billing questions as needed.
- Associates degree or equivalent experience required.
- Ability to accept and process payments, disperses correct change to members, and balance daily cash drawer accurately.
- Mathematical proficiency in addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, percentages, and ratios.
- Speaks in a well-modulated voice with poise and confidence using correct and easily understandable English. Fluency in Spanish is desirable. Must be able to read and understand instructions, safety rules, etc., and to write letters with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar.
- Listens and communicates in a knowledgeable, sincere, kind, and polite manner to both consumers and fellow employees.
- Knowledge of computers and software including Microsoft Office products. Must be able to comprehend and properly use the NISC Customer Information Software.
- Must be able to perform data entry quickly and accurately.
- Knowledge of electricity distribution and customer utilization, including best practices and common problems.
- Knowledge of the Cooperative’s business model; rate schedules, policies, and procedures; Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) rules; and other regulations that impact the Cooperative Services Department and customers.
- Valid Indiana Vehicle Operator’s License
- Works safely and looks out for co-workers and the general public.
- Exhibits keen disposition for providing great customer service.
- Represents Jackson County REMC well in appearance, conduct, knowledge, and professionalism.
- Is familiar with and abides by Cooperative policies, guidelines, and code of ethics.
- Is a team player contributing to support the mission of Jackson County REMC.
- Is good steward of the Cooperative’s resources.
- Punctual and attentive to established work periods and allowed rest-times.
- Maintains and or acquires the skills necessary to perform job functions.
- Seeks more efficient and effective ways to carry out his/her responsibilities.
- Available when needed for both regular duties and during system emergencies.
- Successfully performs duties in a quantity, quality, and timeliness to be effective.
- Expects change both internal and external and adapts positively.
- Accepts responsibility for own actions and for accomplishing, needed tasks.
Stipulation: Each position at the Cooperative will evolve according to the needs of the organization. While this job description is generally descriptive of the position, it is not all-inclusive.