Location: Worthington, IN
Performs any assigned tasks of a routine nature, involving the installation, inspection, troubleshooting, testing, maintenance, repair and operation of transmission line facilities and equipment, including distribution lines, when necessary. Participates in on-the-job training and in any required coursework or other educational opportunities in order to achieve a level of independent expertise about all types if transmission line facilities and equipment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inspects or tests and subsequently repairs all malfunctions or aberrations of a routine nature that are encountered in the maintenance and operations of transmission line equipment.
- Performs installations of a routine nature and puts into service assigned transmission line equipment.
- Assists with guidance from other transmission line personnel in the installation, inspection, troubleshooting, testing, maintenance, repair and operation of transmission line facilities and equipment in order to attain competence and improve knowledge.
- Maintains a working knowledge of skills learned in the first three years of apprenticeship and is responsible for learning these additional skills under the guidance of a qualified employee: Installation of hot jumpers on energized transmission lines; switch inspection; mobile substation installation; work performance on energized facilities and equipment; and the reading and interpretation of sag charts.
- Responsible for the proper utilization, maintenance and security of assigned tools, equipment and work areas.
- Makes sketches, takes notes or completes reports in order to maintain accurate records about the installation, inspection, troubleshooting, testing, maintenance, repair and operation of equipment; reports any abnormal or potentially dangerous conditions to the appropriate supervisor(s) in a responsible and timely fashion.
- Assures that all work performed is in compliance with the General Switching Procedures.
- Makes recommendations to the Manager, Delivery Services or the assigned Line Working Foreman about any practices, procedures or requirements in order to facilitate maintenance schedules, short- or long-range plans, or any other efficiencies or cost improvements.
- Provides the necessary on-the-job training and guidance of Transmission Line Apprentices of lesser experience in order to upgrade their transmission line skills and to enhance the possibility for greater responsibility and utilization of skills.
- Acts in an exemplary manner in order to maintain and promote safe practices and procedures and participates in scheduled safety meetings and first aid classes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, plus successful completion of required HEATS apprentice coursework or its equivalent, in accordance with required skills and abilities
- Three years with an electric utility or some other heavy industry equivalent to the first three years of the transmission line apprenticeship
Skills and Abilities:
- Installation, inspection, troubleshooting, testing, maintenance, repair and operation of transmission line facilities and equipment; transmission line skills, including blueprint reading, math and measurements, hand tools and portable power tools, climbing and construction, transmission line hardware and apparatus, transmission line vehicle operations, line clearance and service restoration, transmission line facilities and equipment, safety practices and first aid; must qualify for and maintain the appropriate driver’s license in order to operate heavy vehicles
Hoosier Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Veteran